Wednesday, August 20, 2008

...Fay, Fay, go away, come again another day...

OK. Can we talk? We were told the Jacksonville area was relatively safe from hurricanes when we decided to move here. Now it seems Miss Fay is cruising along the coast right for our neck of the woods (I forgive all of you nay-sayers just because we love it here still!). There is a slight chance it will make a sharp turn West and pass just South of us. Or, it will do as some predict - move out to sea a bit to pick up strength and come back on land right on top of us. Our home is in St. Augustine (St. Johns county) and we are only 12 miles from the beach. This all makes me a little nervous...... I had a dream last night that a hurricane came and we lived here on the 17th floor of a high rise building. I guess it could be worse - right? I'm very thankful that our faith promotes emergency preparedness - no matter where you live. So we already have over 100 gallons of water in the garage (two 55-gallon barrels), lots of food storage (crammed under beds, etc..) and hopefully enough light if the power goes out. We have been slackers and have not purchased a backup generator yet. That might come back to haunt us. I don't want to fight the crowds today at Home Depot to buy one. So say a prayer for us and lets just hope the rain and some minor flooding is all we get. The absolute worst part of the whole "Fay" ordeal is that our kids were scheduled to start school on Friday! Shame on her for ruining my week! Take care everyone!

1 comments:

Angela said...

Did the kids start school today? How are you guys doing? Did Fay cause flooding by you?