Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Quick! Look now while it's clean....

I'm slowly still putting together our home and making it look a little more lived in. I had a church friend come over a few weeks ago and asked if we had just moved in. Too funny. Does "we've been moving in since March" count? Anyway, my Orlando friend "A" came to go shopping with me and help me with this large living room area we have. And I don't say that in a "mine is larger than yours" kind of way - our house is literally a large living room with a few bedrooms and a kitchen attached. Period. That my friend is what you get out here in the "trailer park behind the country club" neighborhood of ours. All jokes aside, we love our little 20 house community and even love some of the country clubbers up the road (after all, we need friends up there to access the pool).

So, back to the decorating dilemma. Rodney and I took forever deciding on a couch. We wanted a large sectional, but couldn't agree on what style. Anything that screamed Lazy Boy recliner was a no-go (Rodney was instantly drawn to anything this style) and anything too modern (more my taste), he hated. So we ended up finding ONE couch that we both could agree on. It's the one pictured below. We love that it's huge and fits all of us at once for a family movie night.

"A" who has great taste suggested I go in the green/orange range for accents. I was a little unsure, but once we started shopping, I saw the light..... It might not work for everybody, but we love it. It's bright and cheery and is reminiscent of the green shag carpeting and orange ruffle curtains we had when I was little (I'm sure it was in then too Mom!).....

The walls are a great taupe color, but we have these 3 massive windows that aren't covered yet so it makes the walls look lighter than they really are (dealing with these windows are next on my list). I had to laugh when I saw this picture - I thought the room was actually clean, but I should have known better. Notice the two toys on the floor?

Still in the market for a round coffee table. This is the one we've had for about 8 years now.

I found this steal at a furniture outlet store and had to have it. I bought it needing some TLC, but I think it turned out good.

What in the heck do you do with these little alcove thingys?? A big urn of flowers wouldn't quite do. "A" and I found this super cool green vase and filled it with branches I found later at the local Walmart (now you know why "A" had to come and help - we didn't need everything provided by Wally World) And the sheep! Grandma brought this from up North and Brooke loves to ride it. So it stays.

You can't really tell, but the picture hanging here is of red, orange and green abstract flowers. I fell in love with the green corduroy bench and begged the older kids to not show Brooke that it opened for storage. That request lasted about 2 days. Brooke has discovered it's quite cool.

Reading corner that consists of an older chair we had and a small shelf that was white and buried under junk in the garage. "A" suggested painting it green and viola! It works. I love the etched wood art that seems to be showing up at a lot of local stores (hanging here) The pictures don't do it justice.

That's it for now.......My next project is the girl's room.....

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Love your house!!! It's beautiful!

Angela said...

I love the color choices you made. Great space.