Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More Crockery Goodness: Pizza Soup!




You all know I LUV my crock pot. So I was excited when I found this blog - A Year of Slow Cooking. I appreciate that she reviews all of the recipes after she makes them. I think this gal even has a cook book coming out soon.

When I came across Pizza Soup, I was a bit skeptical.....We are a pizza lovin' household and I couldn't imagine a liquid form of pizza. But I made it last night and even the kiddos ate it up! It was pretty darn yummy. Ok, dig out your crock pots and dump in the following:

1 jar (14oz) pizza sauce
3-5 empty jars full of water (I let mine cook awhile with 3 and then added 2 more to make it thinner)
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (tip - I used my pampered chef chopper and chopped everything SMALL to fool little eyes)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms (which I then diced)
1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
2 already-cooked Italian sausages (I sliced and then quartered)
1 cup sliced pepperoni, sliced and then quartered
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 T dried)
1 T dried oregano

for later:
1 cup uncooked pasta of choice
mozzarella cheese

Cook on low 7-9 hours. 30 minuted prior to eating, add dry pasta and turn up to high. It will soften pretty quickly. I have adjusted this recipe to fit our liking. The original called for a lot less pasta. I think next time I will try a little less meat as well (we like a pasta based soup, instead of meat based).

I topped with cheese and served with bread sticks and told the kids pretend it was pizza crust used for dipping! Enjoy!

0 comments: