Summer. Who ever originally made reference to the "lazy days of summer", was not a mother. Things have been anything but "lazy" in this house. Last week was out first full week out of school. I think just like the first week back to school, there are adjustments. Everyone has to learn to get along again while spending so much time together. I think it will be a great summer - we just all need to get into our summer "routines".
Something we have done the last 3 years is "Power Hour". That's right, a little homeschool everyday (except Fridays - all 10 weeks of summer). It starts at 9:00am (kids have to be dressed and have their teeth brushed). We mostly work on things they learned this past school year. In fact, much to Nate's disgust, we purchased a new copy of his math homework book from his teacher (it was only $7!) That way, we are just reviewing what he learned, and not any new major concepts. You can also find your state standards online for the upcoming school year if you want to focus on some of those.
We usually do something like this - 10 minutes of creative writing (I put a couple of odd objects on the table and they have to incorporate them into their stories - we start new stories every Monday), 10 minutes each of math facts on the computer (I do math sheets with the other at the table). 10 minutes of spelling (I got the links to next year's spelling from their teachers this year), 10 minutes of time, money or church/scout stuff, and then 10 minutes of learning our states and capitals. We are learning a song and working on memorizing the US map. There is a special incentive for them if they memorize all of the states and capitals before the end of summer......we are so not above bribing them.....
And, if you are good and cooperate Mon-Thurs during Power Hour, you get to choose from this jar......yes, I will do candy on a Thursday morning if it means my kids will retain something this summer.


2 comments:
Can you link me up to what math facts site you use on line? My 8 yr old needs to practice. Love this idea of power hour.
What a fabulous idea! I will have to rememeber to try and do this! I love your ideas!
Post a Comment