Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hello, it's 1985 calling!






You know your from the 80's if you ever wore a banana clip in your hair, thought the Atari was a state of the art gaming machine, and you knew what "Willis" was talking about. Nothing prepared me more for a serious flashback than a recent trip to the local roller rink with my children! We discovered one just down the street and my kids were up to trying it for the first time - ever. Rodney has another pending knee surgery coming up in the next few months so he couldn't join in the fun. But he made sure to be present (with camera in hand) to witness me in skates for the first time in over 20 years. What can you do? Check your pride at the door! I've decided that there are 2 types of parents at the skate rink: 1) Those that don't want to look uncool by trying it again after decades and 2) Those willing to look uncool to have an evening of fun with their kids. I feel in the latter. My children spent the first 20 minutes or so hating it because they couldn't stay up on the skates. I didn't fall, but spent the evening terrified I was going to! Nate and Lauren warmed up but none of us ventured out to the actual floor. That's right, we spent an hour or so skating on the carpet next to the rink. We've been back 2 times since then and the three of us are getting much better and have gratuated to skating on the rink. It takes me back to Roller Towne (holla all you Tulare/Visalia friends) and spending evenings and Saturdays with nothing better to do than skate. From my recollection, I spent a lot of time heading to the rink with Sherry Summers (Thompson). We loved it. Even the dreaded "couples skate" that would leave us on the carpeted walls hoping some unknown 12-14 year-old would come and ask us to skate. Good times.... Cheers Sherry - I'll make sure to request a special 80's song next time I take my kids to the rink in your honor.


2 comments:

wendy harbaugh said...

We did the same thing about 1 week before Christmas. We went to a roller rink and had fun I was trying to help my 6 year old skate bad idea ripped out half the stitches under my arm where I had an operation the week before. Oh well we had fun and the stitches are removed and healed well in spite of myself. Roller town how scary I remember that place.

Melissa said...

Sunshine! How "un-Tulare" of you to think Roller Towne was a scary place - haha. We were just desperate kids in a scary area in general. I hope your stitches heal well and that all is good with your health. Kuddos for getting up on those wheels - it's just like riding a bike! Happy New Year...