Am I the only dork of a mother that has a hard time parting with her children's clothes???? Maybe I wouldn't have such a hard time if I hadn't of kept so many for 5+ years! It started by keeping Nathan's and Lauren's clothes because I knew we would someday have a third child and some of the stuff was so cute (and practically new) that I hauled it all around each time we've moved. Once we found out we were having a girl (Miss Brooke), I was thrilled to start going through Nate's clothes - starting with the preemie outfit he came home in. By now he was 5 1/2. Lots of clothes. The problem is when I looked at some of his outfits, I saw memories. Not only memories, but I can remember who gave me certain outfits or even hand-me-downs that I knew were special to some of my friends. So slowly and painfully, I started giving away Nate's things to friends and even sold a few things on Ebay. And for those of you wondering if I parted with everything, the answer is NO. The preemie outfit and a couple of others I kept. Just to get out and giggle at when I need a "remember when" moment. The girls clothes are a double jinx because some of the same cute clothes have twice the memories since they were worn by both of my girls! So after reserving a couple of outfits from their infancy, I took some over to the consignment store. What are years worth of memories in cash you ask? $22.63. I almost felt insulted and wanted to scream at the sweet lady throwing my items in a messy pile, "Don't you realize those were worn by three of the most important people in my life?! The best days at my "job" over the past 8 years were done cuddling, cooing and sometimes spanking the backs of those outfits?!" So I left the store with $22.63 in my pocket. The moral of the story is, keep one outfit for posterity's sake, and take pictures of your little ones in the rest. Afterall, the cutest outfit on our babies is their birthday suit, right?
Friday, January 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment