Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Feb 14th!

Happy Valentine's Day! I love this day. Not only because it happens to by my birthday, but I simply love all of the love. The hearts, the candy, the flowers. Love. It. All.


I usually make Rodney wait on buying me flowers this week. We all know how expensive flowers are on the week of V-day. And as a general rule, we never go out to dinner on my birthday because all of the restaurants are over crowded. So we are going to wait a few nights. My sister Meg and my older brother are in town this weekend, so we are headed out for cosmic bowling later. It should be a lot of fun.

Sometimes I find it difficult to buy Rodney gifts for special occasions. Big boys like big toys. You know when you ask them what they want and they reply "new golf clubs". UGH! So we made a pack to get it simple this year. I saw a great idea from Wendy over at the Shabby Nest . She took a picture of the building her and hubby had their wedding reception in and tweaked it on the computer. She then modge podged it onto a canvas. It was really cute and it inspired me....

So I found a picture online of Cafe Intermezzo in Atlanta where Rodney and I had our very first date back in 1996. I remember a lot about that night. I remember how dark and romantic this cafe was....we sat there forever and talked and got to know more about each other. Man was I miffed when at the end of the date when he politely kissed me on the forehead and left my doorstep. I really wanted him to kiss me - on the lips!!! That's OK, I'm over it. I'm glad he was a gentleman and I'm glad to report I've been lucky enough to have kissed him a thousand times over these last 13 years. Anywho.... I tweaked the picture a bit in Photoshop and put a few simple words on it, printed it and had it laminated. (and no, the couple in this picture is not us - but wouldn't that be way cool?) It's a good size for a bookmark or to hang at work (I didn't want to frame it as we don't have much space for more framed pictures around here). He was surprised and enjoyed getting it as a gift today. It's fun to look at the tables in that place and think about how starry-eyed and hopeful we were about that first date. It was a night that changed the course of our lives. Forever.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Birthday Melissa! I love your picture that is such a great idea. Have fun bowling.

Annette said...

Beautiful photo, well done.

I DID NOT KNOW TODAY WAS YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! Why do I not know these things?? I love birthdays. So, Happy Birthday. There are still 2 hours left in today, so my wishes still count. You are fabulous, hope you had/have a great birthday WEEK! Drag it out, sister!

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

That picture rocks! You are so creative! I am thinking of one I can do for my husband... and again, Happy Late Birthday!!!