Confession numero uno, this 1st picture is not mine. As usual, I got busy, we were hungry, and well, the rest is history - no post-baked photo. This is pretty darn close to what it really looks like though. double-yum. A taco pizza is pretty common these days, but what I'm about to tell you changes the landscape of pizza making.......use Pillsbury croissant rolls. You really can't go wrong with any recipe using croissant rolls! This was a recipe I used back in the day of my Pampered chef'ing. It was easy and always a hit. It even heats up well for left-overs.
Step One: Unroll TWO packages of Pillsbury croissant rolls (I stick with the regular size and flavor that Pillsbury offers).
Step Two: Use all but two of the triangle pastry pieces and lay them out with the pointy side facing in on a pizza stone (or I'm guessing a version of this would work just as well in a 9x13 pan). Pinch all of the edges of the pastry together and lay the final two pieces on the top (see below). I roll it out a bit to to try and get it somewhat even, sealing all seems. The final step to the pastry is pinching the sides up with your fingers. Like this.....Step Three: Cook at 375 for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let cool completely. (resist the uncontrollable urge you have to spread butter and jelly over the whole thing and eat it!)
Toppings:
Start layering from the bottom up in the following order -
- 1 cup of cream cheese (spread over entire pizza)
- Mix: 1 lbs of cooked ground beef - warmed, 1 cup salsa and one envelope of taco seasoning mix (you can get away with using 1/2 a package if you want less sodium). Spread over sour cream.
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced black olives
Slice and enjoy!

3 comments:
So would this work on regular pizza dough that you buy (as dough) at Publix? Pillsbury croissant rolls are yum, but I can't handle the fat content. Looks good (and easy). I always like your recipes (chicken, salsa, bean in the 'ol crock-pot is now in my regular rotation).
Annette - do yourself a favor....live a little and make the croissant version! I'm sure you could burn off the calories in a nano-second during one of your daily burns at the gym.
p.s. glad you like the black bean chicken thingy.....rest assured, it is low cal.
Another genius move from pillsbury... They have Crescent Recipe Creations now. It's a whole sheet of the crescent dough so you don't have to do all the piecing together of triangles!
Mike was just saying the other day that I need to make another chicken braid soon. heh.
Post a Comment