Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Twist on Silhouettes

So they are are just about everywhere these days. Silhouettes! I wanted some for my living room, but didn't think black silhouettes would be a good fit. So I went with nontraditional colors. I found cheap canvas at Big Lots (12x12 for $5 each). I took the leftover green painted we used to paint the book shelves in our reading corner (remember this corner?) and painted them twice for good coverage.

Then I took pictures of my kids, converted to black and white (no sense in wasting color ink), and crop them so that their heads were close to 8x10 in size. Once I printed them out, I carefully cut around their heads and neck. Placing their paper heads on the canvas, I traced around them lightly with pencil. I then used a creamy off-white to fill in the pencil silhouette. It really couldn't have been any easier!


I'm linking my newest craft to DIY day at A Soft Place to Land. Head over weekly for some amazing craft ideas!

10 comments:

Lori said...

What an awesome idea! And so easy!

Jennifer Juniper said...

Perfect :)

Molly said...

I love those. They look fantastic and so modern.

Jane said...

I like the colors!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

LOVE them! That green is a great color, and I never thought to mix it up like that.

Thanks for the inspiration and thanks for stopping by my blog.

Angela said...

So cute Melissa! You are so great with the crafts....

Annette said...

They look excellent! I am always so impressed with all the home decorating and crafts that you do. Such talent, such talent!

Kimba said...

Great project! They're beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

You give the BEST ideas! I am going to have to try that one but I swear, you always make it look easier than it is. I am bound to screw it up. Might have to call you when I actually get around to doing it!

The Hill Hangout said...

I love these! I'm definitely going to try to do it!