I'm not sure why, but cooking ribs used to scare me. We love eating them when we are out, but cooking them at home always seemed a little daunting to me. Kinda like cooking fish (which I'm proud to say I've begun cooking also).
So I found this method of cooking ribs which seems to work for me - and they are great! I love having the last minute grill technique - it's what makes them sticky and gives them the "grill" flavor. (And yes, I've tried the crock pot method, but they turn out either to "wet" or the meat doesn't adhere to the bone)
So here it is - on this particular day I was preparing "country style" ribs as opposed to a rack of ribs. Either would work.
What you need:
Ribs
Rib/chicken rub
Really good BBQ sauce - we like Sweet Baby Ray's
Tin foil
1) Divide ribs into serving size portions (I think I had 5 portions)
2) Layout squares of tin foil that will eventually hold each portion - spray foil with cooking spray.
3) Rub the ribs with the dry rub (or salt and pepper - whatever tickles your fancy) and then lather with BBQ sauce.
4) Fold each packet nice and tight. I then laid mine out on a large tin cookie sheet and let marinade in the fridge (I usually keep them in there at least a couple of hours)
5) Keep in packets on the tray and cook at 300 for 2 1/2 hours.
At this point your ribs are done.......BUT to make them extra special, take them out of the foil and place on a hot grill with additional BBQ sauce for a few minutes each side. It's so worth the extra step!
OR - you can take out of the packets, brush on extra sauce and place under the broiler for a few minutes each side (as I did below this time because it was raining). Yummy!





2 comments:
Yum!!! Perhaps I can attempt this.
funny, cuz i just cooked ribs for the first time a couple weeks ago! your recipe looks similar to mine. but last time i cooked them all day in the oven (8 hours?) on 250. then finished them on the grill. they just fell off the bone. i put a dry rub on the ribs before putting them in the oven and then made my sauce (it's a very simple recipe and sooo good) and put the sauce on only while grilling. i love food......
Post a Comment