Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Happy? Anniversary.

Another year in the books!  We reached the 14 year mark!  I still say we are newlyweds, but the gray hairs give it away.  Each year it seems like we have grand plans for our anniversary.  Prior we sit and day dream about where we could go, what we could do......Are we the only ones who can never complete those plans???  That's another way to tell you've been married awhile (and have children) - plans usually have a way of changing - sometimes in a big way.....

You see, I know this beautiful man was made for me.  No one else walking this earth could have put up with me during this past week.  You see instead of spending the last week of the summer having fun, getting organized for school, clothes washed, rooms cleaned, and most important of all - have an anniversary date night (is that asking too much?)....we were experiencing what we now call "The Great Meltdown of 2010"....   You guessed it - our air conditioning went out.  (prepare for the soapbox rant)  This might not be so bad, but we live in Florida.  August in Florida is an experience, especially this year because we are on day 48 of 90+ degree weather.  Two days shy of record heat for this place.  And throw in 90% humidity to boot.  This is the time of year you stay inside - period.  Even the nearby beach and pools don't have cool refreshing water.

I called our a/c people.  Ultimately it took them 2 days to come out (Thursday) and even check it.....when the tech announced "Your compressors bad, it will cost $600-700 to replace, and oh yeah, we can't get the parts until Monday."  Huh??  I could somehow swallow the cost, but MONDAY? 

I was reduced to tears.   In front the tech.  In front of my children. 

After both of my daughters break out in a heat rash, I run out to Home Depot where I spend a ridiculous amount of money on a window a/c unit.  We install it in the living room and that is where we have tried to live the past few days - sleeping and all.  We've tried to spend time away from home, but are also trying to keep costs low while we are out - so that we can actually pay the a/c guy.
(kids hanging out under the window unit)

I was so anxious to have him come Monday (as planned), and then he called and informed me they were sent the wrong part and it would have to wait until today (which is Tuesday).  Cue water works again.  Who cares after this point, the man already thinks I'm crazy.

So this morning, 7 days after we originally lost air, he came and fixed it.....

Maybe next year we can go on a cruise, take a weekend away, or a night on the town.  Then again, I'm a realist.

Happy Anniversary honey - we can at least enjoy the ultimate gift tonight....sleeping in a cool room on our own bed.  Perfection.  I love you and our crazy life together...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Mel, don't feel bad. Brian & I had very similar circumstances last year (& our air still doesn't work –it’s never below 75 in the house & this was Maryland's hottest summer on record!). It was our 10th anniversary & we thought we would do something special. I spent weeks looking for a pets allowed resort close by. Harrah's in Atlantic City assured me they were pet friendly. I even called the day before we left to ensure everything was on track & they knew our 2 pugs were coming-“no problem”. We packed up on a Thursday night after work, drove to Atlantic City & checked-in the casino at midnight-ish with both pugs in hand- and went to bed. I even asked the guy at the front desk where the girls were & were not allowed. He said there were no restrictions! The next morning, about 5 minutes after maid service, we get a phone call from management that we are being kicked out with a $250 charge on top of our weekend’s full bill (2 more nights). I told them how many people I spoke with, including the front desk boy at check in, dogs in hand! They refunded our money, but still kicked us out! Here it is, the day of our 10th anniversary, & we had to drive back home from Atlantic City to DC in Friday rush hour traffic. On top of it all-I was so emotionally upset I got sick! Literally had to pull off I-95 in the ghetto of Philly like 5 times! By the time we got home, it was too late to go anywhere & I was exhausted from being so upset & sick. What a miserable 10th anniversary! We ended up going out to a nice meal the next day & exchanged gifts then. I was so mad, I looked into suing Harrah’s for that!

Happy Belated Anniversary! May each one be happier!

Jessica

Annette said...

Oh my, I had no idea you were sweltering in the heat in your own home. You should have called me, at least you could come over in the day.

In 2004 when four hurricanes came through and we would loose power for a week plus, we left the house and stayed with friends. I couldn't handle living without a/c.

How's the new lens?

We need to get together.

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

Wow Mel... you really do have the ultimate Anniversary story there! But it wouldn't be your life any other way, huh? Remember I had to come rescue you from a wreck or something in Georgia! Hahaha. Good times. And now you have something to talk about at your 50th anniversary. Miss you girl!