Last month for my birthday, instead of wallowing in the fact that I was turning the big "4-0", my family and I spent the week prior to my birthday doing random acts of kindness (RAOKs). I have seen this done on several other blogs and it sounded like a lot of fun. So the kids and I sat down and came up with a list of things that we could do. I've seen others perform all of their acts in one day, but I have to say spreading it out over a week was the way to go. There is something special about taking the time during your everyday routine to ask yourself "What can I do today to put a smile on someone's face?" By the end of the week, it really became routine. Isn't that the way we should try to be everyday? Striving to do even just the little things that might make people smile? I don't post this to toot my own horn, but simply to inspire you. Go - make someone smile today!
Here are a few of the things that we did:
1) Bought a bottle of water for the cashier while checking out at Walmart. That poor thing looked like she needed it - it wasn't until I said "This is for you." That she even thought about smiling and looking me in the eyes. I could tell she was very thankful.
2) Teacher appreciation gifts - to all of the teachers that have to put up with our kids each day! :-)
4) Waited with the sweet grandpa who left his grandson off at our bus stop one morning - whose truck had died, in the pouring rain, with his baby grandaughter inside. Apparently he didn't have a phone on him and poor thing couldn't walk his grandaughter back home in the rain....So I called another neighbor who I knew would run to the rescue with jumper cables. I waited until said neighbor got there and got his car started. I'm not sure this grandpa was glad he volunteered to babysit that day.
5) Sent a note to an amazing teenager that I am blessed to know. I remember the few heartfelt words given to me with I was a teen - by someone other than my parents. I wanted her to know how great I thought she was. (She gave me a great big hug the next time I saw her!)
6) The kids and I left chocolates for the mail lady (whom we had never really met). Two days later she left us a sweet note in return. Now we know "Linda" on a first name basis!
7) When I ran through fast food drive through one day, I asked the cashier if I could pay for the driver behind me as well. She said "Sure - why do you know them?" Her mouth fell open when I told her no! I just told her to tell them to "Have a nice day!"
8) The kids and I made a plate of goodies for the local fire station - just to say thanks. I was touched that they all stopped what they were doing to come out and talk to the kids. We had fun climbing on their trucks when we done!
9) Sent a card to a girlfriend that has really stuck with me through the years. I wanted her to know that I really appreciated her although we haven't lived in the same vacinity for a couple of decades. You know who you are!
10) Let the lady behind me go first at the grocery store. Seems simple enough, but she was very thankful.
11) Gave several months worth of magazines to a friend that I knew would really like them!


2 comments:
LOVE it!!! You gave me something to look forward to do with my kids! Thanks! You are the best at that stuff! Miss you too:)
Love this idea!! I am soooo missing you right now!!
Post a Comment