Thursday, November 13, 2008

Show me the money!!!!!!


So we were having a problem motivating the kids to do chores. They liked the idea of an allowance, but just the thought of a "payday" at the end of the week was "forever" away! So I created the Payday Chart. Nathan likes money - he is my spender. Lauren can easily buy something and leave a little money in her purse for the next shopping trip. I knew right away that Nate would love at least looking at his money adding up all week. So I cut out clear sleeves (like the type you use in binders) and taped them onto poster board (love that 2-sided tape!) I have pockets for 6 days of the week and then both a Payday and a Payback pocket. I put money in each pocket (still not sure how much to pay my kids - any ideas?)


Here is how it works:


On Sunday evening we roll a dice to choose chores for the week. I have another sheet of paper that shows what chore you get to do if you roll a certain number (for example if you roll a 1, you pick up living room and dust daily) On top of the weekly chore, we have "responsibility chores" that you are expected to do without pay (make bed, pick up room, brush teeth). Whew! OK, it's really not that complicated, stay with me.


Each evening before bedtime prayer we head to the posters and if the kids have done their chores that day, they get to move their money to the Payday pocket. On Saturday, whatever is in the Payday pocket they get to keep.


We also have the dread Payback pocket. There is a sign below the posters that lists a few offenses which require them to take money from their Payday pocket and move it to the Payback pocket. It's things like wet towel left on ground (huge pet peeve of mine), clothes left on floor, and leaving a mess in living room or kitchen. Each of these require a 25 cent penalty. So on Sunday, they pay 10% tithe at church and have to donate the Payback pocket money to a charitable cause also through our church.


So far it seems to be working and they LOVE seeing their money add up! And yes - we do have a quarter each in the Payback pocket so far!

3 comments:

Angela said...

What a great idea. Morgan has certain chores she does weekly and gets to earn money for Jamba Juice Friday at her school. We also have a sorta payback system where if she has a temper tantrum or talks back etc. we get to take the money back and she misses out on Jamba Juice. So far she has only missed 2 weeks of not having Jamba so it seems to be working.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this idea! Not only does it teach kids the value of money, but also compassion! What a smart idea!

Anonymous said...

We pay Savi by her age. So each year her allowance goes up by a dollar. Making a pocket chart is a great idea. I wish I would have thought of something like that when she was younger.