Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Introducing Lava Popcorn.....

Good Morning!

Here's one of those recipes that is so good you are tempted to hide it and keep it your little secret. I, on the contrary, wear pretty much everything on my sleeve - so hear it is.....(ok, it also helps that only 3 people read my blog)....

This recipe is perfect for Valentine's Day! And it makes a huge batch which is great.

Lava Popcorn
(My Nate named it this because the candy mixture looks like lava when it boils)

2 sticks of butter or margarine
1/2 cup light corn syrup
9 oz of red hots candy (they come in 6 oz packs, so use about 1 and 1/2 packs)

8 quarts of popped popcorn (that's about 32 cups peeps)

Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees

1) Pop your popcorn (buy cheap - I used the "light" Winn-Dixie microwavable brand and it's great)

2) I pour popcorn into a smaller bowl and then measure out into a larger one - this gives you the opportunity to pick out all of the un-popped kernels

3) Place popped popcorn in 2 large bowls (mine are REALLY large). You'll need this for mixing.

4) Boil butter, syrup, and red hots for 5 minutes (make sure it boils and all candy is melted)

5) Pour mixture over each bowl of popcorn - be careful, it's hot! Mix well.

6) Spread onto large cookie sheets evenly

7) Cook in oven for 1 hour turning popcorn (and breaking apart) every 15 minutes

Sooooooo Yummy! Enjoy!



5 comments:

Angela said...

That looks really good. I think I may have to make it for Morgan's class for Valentine's Day. Thanks for sharing.

Annette said...

It is yummy! Thanks Melissa.

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

I am actually going to have to try and make this girl! You really do inspire me...would be healthy enough for dinnertime???

Herb, Emily, and Logan said...

you have some great recipes but have you tried the chocolate carmel crunch stuff on the back of the Chocolate Chex box? i made it for the super bowl and it was AMAZING...it totally helped a couple of my friends with their chocolate fix... :D here's a link to the recipe...

http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=44440&CategoryId=342

Melissa said...

Emily! I'll have to check out the Chex recipe ASAP! Thanks for the heads up! I hope you guys are doing well!