A couple of years ago I hosted a small book exchange amongst some of our friends in GA and had about 10 kids come and exchange books. A good time was had by all. Fast-forward a couple of years here in our new area, and I thought I would give it a go again. You see, this is the point during summer that my kids are at the height of boredom! (OK, let's just be honest, my mom is moving out of state in 2 days and I needed a MAJOR distraction.)
So I sent out the call and was thrilled that we had 16 adults and 38 kids show up today! All of the kids (and moms) brought old books/magazines and then we had the kids take turns picking out the ones they wanted. We had a raffle and gave out reading related prizes (book lights, etc) and then enjoyed lots of food! I thought it was a success and I'm already thinking about how to improve it for next summer (like keep an eye on my own kids because in the excitement of having so many friends here they didn't grab any of the fabulous books that others brought - oh well!)






2 comments:
I LOVE this idea. Brilliant! And it is all "new" to the new owner.
I was thinking about your comment on my post this morning. About the over-cabinet lighting ... I wonder if it would work UNDER cabinet. Not enough lighting for task lighting, but nice for a quiet peaceful look.
Let me know if you do this. I'd love to see what you end up with.
It was great fun, thanks for letting us trash your house!
Call me in a couple days if you need another distraction!
Post a Comment