I saw these cute scrabble pendants a while back and finally got around to making a few. I found the tutorial at Make and Takes and ordered up the supplies needed. I got a batch of scrap scrabble pieces on Ebay. (Because who am I kidding, I hate that game and have never owned one.....it is a clear reminder of all of the spelling/grammar I slacked off on in school) I printed the saying I wanted to scrapbook paper and cut to fit the game piece (in this case it was a partial scripture for our girl's church youth group.) I also purchased the Diamond Glaze on Ebay (used as the awesome shiny finish on top - man that stuff is coool!)
I also fell in love with the whole "washer" necklaces. I found a good tutorial at Sugerdoodle and started collecting supplies (check out the Youtube tutorials mentioned on that site). After comparing pricing for the stamp set, I ordered from Harbor Freight as Sugardoodle had suggested (they had a best price!) As a side note, when I got my set they were wet with what smelled like motor oil - ewww. When I called the company to ask if I'd gotten used parts, she told me they lubricate the metal stamps so they won't rust in the warehouse.
I found an Army/Navy store and purchased plain dog tags ($1 each) and ball chains ($1 each). Then off to Home Depot where I scoured the hardware dept. looking and comparing washers, etc. The little rhinestones are just self sticking ones from Michaels. The stamping takes a bit of practice, so you may want to buy a few extra. Overall it was fun to do with our youth group - and my nine year-old son also loved the idea of hammering letters into metal!
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Two Crafty Jewelry Projects.....
And finally for all of you uber-crafty Etsy people, don't panic - I am a total rookie crafter and am not "stealing" ideas to make and sell! I do LOVE however to check out your goods on Etsy - it's inspiring!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh, I love these! The washer/dog tag necklaces are awesome! What a great way to turn something trendy into something inspiring!
Where do you find the time? Amazing! Melissa is always up to something fun! Any chance you're headed out west for a visit?
Those are both great projects. Are you making them to give to the girls or are the girls going to make their own?
Good job...love your scrabble pendants. Thanks for the comment on my affirmation board. My husband is already waiting for me to change it out and write the next piece of affirmation to him.
I love the scrabble pendants. I order off Etsy all the time for cute birthday gifts for Morgan's friends. They always have great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
Annette - I let the girls do it! That's why I recommend buying extra washers (they are cheap, the dog tags aren't). Dan - we sure miss you guys! I am headed out west in Oct for my H.S. reunion!!!
I found these on etsy and it reminded me of the bows you used to make. I think you should get some for your photography! http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28153560&ref=sr_gallery_13&&ga_search_query=huge+hair+flower&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=4&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
Post a Comment