We recently took Brooke's crib out of her room and replaced it with a plain bed frame to match her big sister's. We are trying the whole "sharing a room" with them. With one at 2 1/2 and the other 7, it's a stretch.




So I found metal bed frames at Big Lots for $37.00 each. We then bought inexpensive box springs and mattresses for each. I originally wanted to do upholstered headboards in a cute fabric, but my eye came across this interesting piece at the thrift store the other day - for $5.00. It's a queen size headboard that is actually that nasty veneer 70's plastic (even though it looks like heavy wood) -the identical scroll shape on both the right and left sides intrigued me...... What if we cut it in half and painted it white for headboards? For $5.00 I had to at least try!
OK, I have to apologize for my husband's bare chest.......he was in the garage sawing this apart and it's 150 degrees here (ok, it least I fuzzed out his nipples out!)

Next, Rodney attached a leg on each and we used some white primer.

Last I spray painted it white....here is one set up behind one of their beds. Once bringing it in, I noticed we need another coat of paint on it (I just need to head back to Walmart)




37 comments:
Wow...you go girl!
Wow, talented, thrifty, cute and you have a nipple-less husband! You are indeed the entire package.
Seriously, it looks very cute. I don't have that ability to look at something and see the potential in it. You are much more "artsy" that way. You do that with photo's as well.
That is a steal. They look really cute painted white and in the girls cute cute room.
I wish I had that same talent! Can't look at something unless it is the something I am looking for:) I am in the same boat with my dad, we are finally all going to separate this month too. It is both sad and happy. Nate looks too adorable in his golf outfit! And I can't believe how big Brooke is! She is adorable!
You are amazing! Great idea! Turned out way cute :)
Oh my goodness that is so great! And the room is beautiful. I love the polka dots on the wall, and the sweet round pendants from the ceiling. Just wonderful all around!!
I think I got a tear in my eye...this is SOOOO inspiring because you don't know how much stuff I pass in a thrift store and saw "eww" with out realizing the potential. I LOVE these headboards. Great find!
Very cute room...love the headboard transformation! Great job on everything!
Blessings :)
~Michelle
(Treasure the Moment)
Oh my gosh! That is fantastic!!! You had a brilliant idea that worked out perfectly. Nice job!
And I can't believe you fuzzed out your hubby's nipples! I now adore you! Too funny.
Kimba
You are too clever! Probably the best $5 you ever spent *smiles*
This looks SO good! I can't believe how that queen headboard turned into these - they look so pretty and expensive! Great job!
I never would have thought these were from the same headboard. Great job!
Ok, that is awesome!! I'm here from ASPTL. You mentioned you first wanted to do fabric, I have an idea...I think those headboards would be so cute with just the inner portion as fabric...just put some batting or something cute fabric and staple just around the inner portion...just an idea. Super awesome!
Oh wow! What a great idea for making two gorgeous, girly headboards for a bargain! You've got great vision.
They look great! I'm working on my own twin bed makeover for my girls room, but mine cost me $25 for both. :-)
GENIUS! there is no way i woulda looked at that original headboard and thought i could turn it into anything as great as you did. bravo!
WOW! perfect for a little girls room. great job!
Wow, wow, wow, wow! This is AMAZING!!!!! Great job!
The legendary Dorothy Draper would be proud!
Happy squeals~well done!
Come by and see my Pottery Barn inspired typography basket.
So very glam and over the top. I simply love them! Way to see the potential and take the leap.
Those are great ... I love the final result.
Those look fantastic!
I am SO envious! What a score! They look fantastic, and the room is sooo cute!
These are amazing and you did a beautiful job! You are so creative!
This is a truly amazing makeover, great deal and just plain fabulous.
Wow!
Coming over from Kimba...LOVE IT...and the price? Love it even more. Did you have any trouble with the paint chipping off. I have mirrors in the cheap plastic that I want to refab but I was worried about that
They turned out great...and you can't beat that price! Good for you!
Wow! Those are beautiful! Great score and great job refinishing them!
that's awesome!!!
What a creative idea!
Hi there,
I found your blog via A Soft Place To Land. The headboard looked great against the green paint! Very elegant and girly without being over the top. That is just so awesome that you found that piece and saw it's potential to be cool!
P.S. I literally laughed out loud when you said that you blurred out your hubby's nipples! No man chestal nudity on this blog! LOL!
What a steal and they turned out fantastic!
What an amazing idea! They look so cute. I never would have guessed it to look at the original
I can't believe this!!! What a great idea!!!!! I giggled at the fuzzy nipples. Hilarious!
My daughters bedroom is green with polka dots too! You can see it at:
http://themagicbrushinc.blogspot.com/2009/09/lets-look-at-avas-room-again.html
SOOOO beautiful!! awesome find!
This looks so great! I bet the girls love it! I like the polka dots on the wall too! Have a great week! ~Andrea
http://www.andreasattic-andrea.blogspot.com
What a genius ideas ~ you are one creative young lady. I am on the hunt for this now.....thanks to your creative ideas.
Norma
younique727
Post a Comment