Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hey there doll face.....

So I'm posting this to celebrate D.I.Y. Day over at Kimba's A Soft Place to Land. She has a "linky" party every Thursday and it's so fun to visit all of the entries and see what everyone has been working on. The only other time I have joined in on that site, I got an honorable mention for this project - I was soooo excited! Go visit her site now and get inspired!!

My crafty friend Camille and I have spent the week crafting! It was a great diversion from all of the dishes, laundry, and child rearing that we should have been doing. I knew as soon as I saw these on Bakerella I wanted to try them.

We wanted a to focus on a fall theme. I found an online tutorial at Going Sew Crazy and we headed to the craft store (ok, it was multiple craft stores). FYI - We discovered Hobby Lobby was the only store in our area that carried the dowel ends (for the heads) in the size we needed.
Here is a dowel head glued to a clothespin then inserted into a doll stand (found near the clothespins). Face and shoulders are painted....
Camille is a fabulous funky redhead - She painted all of hers with red hair - too cute!
And because I never quite have a plan, mine got all different color hair...
Add some fabric and detail and this is what you end up with! I did a birthday girl and the one to the right is holding a pail of flowers.
Here are the fall ones that I attempted. (clearly, Camille and I were not together the hour I made the witch's hat - I could have really used her help! This sad one will probably be re-done)
Of course Camille up'd me one and pulled out a pilgrim! I fell in love with her...
Camille's collection on her mantle...
With all of the cute fabric and paint out there, imagine the possibilities! I'm thinkin' Christmas angels already......my 9 year-old son was disappointed with all of them being girls and asked for a vampire! Thanks for a great week Camille!!!

9 comments:

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

Now those, are stinkin' adorable! I need a craft buddy! My hubby loved my Melissa crockpot chicken with black beans and salsa the other day... he was mucho impressed (yes, that I actually cooked too!).

Leanne said...

Those are the cutest things ever. What a great idea for me to steal. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my these are the cutest clothespin doll ever !! I love them with all their fancy dresses for fall! How did you ever get the paint to look so smooth?

blessings
mary

Sandy said...

Those dolls are adorable. Very creative costumes too. Sounds like you had fun

Melissa said...

Mary Ellen - We just painted a varnish finish on them (sold in the same small bottles as the paint)

Angela said...

Melissa these are so cute!!

Annette said...

Melissa, you are a crafting queen! Those are fabulous!

Shanade said...

Oh my goodness, those are adorable! My daughter would love them. I'll have to add them to my very long list of craft-to-do's.

Jennifer Perkins said...

The clothespin people are sooo cute, I love them! In fact I love them so much I'd like to give them a shout-out on the Blogher DIY page. I didn't see a way to contact you on the blog so if you could email me jennifer.perkins@blogher.com I'll give you the details.