Well it's final. I am officially a "mom". I drove off a car lot today with a minivan. Deep breath.
You see, for lots of people out there the transition to a minivan is just no big deal. Then you have those nay-sayers like me that always said - NEVER. I WILL NEVER DRIVE A MINIVAN. You see my life screams minivan. My goodness, I'm almost 40 (tell anyone and I'll hunt you down), I have 3 kids, you couldn't live in a more suburban area chalked full of minivans driving carpool. And yes, I cart my kids around to all of their various activities (and sometimes their friends). It's not like I'm trying to convince someone I don't have this life by driving something cooler. I'm not ashamed of the life I live - I love it. So does it really matter what I drive? For a long time I sure thought so. So this week I am thankful for my beautiful healthy kids and shedding any cool I thought I had left. I'm thankful for a more reliable car (and a more comfortable one!)
So folks - never say never.... If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. It's funny because Rodney is chomping at the bit to tint the front windows dark. I really think we has not come to the level of acceptance that I have (he still wants to hide behind the tint!) Love you honey.
So I'm not sure why, but I got a little sentimental today leaving our 1999 Dodge Durango at the dealership. Although it was time for it to go, I couldn't help think of all of the trips and good times we had in that car. It got me thinking about all of the cars I've owned. It really hasn't been too many (which I guess is a good thing?) The pics below were all found online, I'm much to lazy to pull out old photos and scan them!
So here is the latest. We usually don't buy brand new, so it's not as fancy as this one below. But it's close:
Here is a black Durango that looked a lot like the one I traded in this week. We drove that thing for 8-9 years! It was so great when we first got it, and soooo tired by trade in time this week. I told Rodney it was in organ failure. You know it's time to trade in when things start going wrong one by one...
Prior to the Durango, we had the ever reliable Toyota Camry. It was the first car we purchased together as a married couple. A four-door sedan. We felt like full-fledged adults in that car! Again, another one we kept forever!
When Rodney and I met, I drove this white Ford Probe. I thought I was hot stuff in this car (you'll understand why in the next car's photo!) The Probe looked cool, but I had major issues with it (like replacing the transmission at 50,000 miles.) After surviving a flood, the hatchback started to leak. Whenever it rained in the winter, water would accumulate around the spare tire in the back and then freeze into a circle! So whenever I stopped at a light, I could hear the circle of ice sliding around the spare tire compartment (that story was for you Tracy!) This car actually moved me across country and I will forever be grateful for it! It really was my first "real car" - along with my very first "real car payment".
And last, but not least, who didn't drive an old Honda Accord/Civic at some point in their life???? That's what I thought. I got my first car at 19. I thank all of my high school friends (and mom!) for driving me everywhere!! Because I was in college, I didn't have a steady income. I found a "friend of a friend" who bought cars from auctions. I pleaded my case and he was kind enough to let me make payments on it (I think it was all $1000 dollars worth!) My car was burgundy and much more beat up than the one below. The brakes were sketchy, and the a/c didn't work - which is DEADLY if you live in Fresno, CA in the summer. There is no salvation with windows rolled down in 115 degrees of heat. (now you know why I was sooo thrilled to upgrade to the Probe!) Sorry - I couldn't find a bigger picture!
You see, for lots of people out there the transition to a minivan is just no big deal. Then you have those nay-sayers like me that always said - NEVER. I WILL NEVER DRIVE A MINIVAN. You see my life screams minivan. My goodness, I'm almost 40 (tell anyone and I'll hunt you down), I have 3 kids, you couldn't live in a more suburban area chalked full of minivans driving carpool. And yes, I cart my kids around to all of their various activities (and sometimes their friends). It's not like I'm trying to convince someone I don't have this life by driving something cooler. I'm not ashamed of the life I live - I love it. So does it really matter what I drive? For a long time I sure thought so. So this week I am thankful for my beautiful healthy kids and shedding any cool I thought I had left. I'm thankful for a more reliable car (and a more comfortable one!)
So folks - never say never.... If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone. It's funny because Rodney is chomping at the bit to tint the front windows dark. I really think we has not come to the level of acceptance that I have (he still wants to hide behind the tint!) Love you honey.
So I'm not sure why, but I got a little sentimental today leaving our 1999 Dodge Durango at the dealership. Although it was time for it to go, I couldn't help think of all of the trips and good times we had in that car. It got me thinking about all of the cars I've owned. It really hasn't been too many (which I guess is a good thing?) The pics below were all found online, I'm much to lazy to pull out old photos and scan them!
So here is the latest. We usually don't buy brand new, so it's not as fancy as this one below. But it's close:
OK, it's been fun taking a trip down memory lane...... Of course we have owned more vehicles as "2nd cars" and when I get time I'll blog those (for posterity's sake.)
I need to run because of course there are no less than 100 buttons on my new dash to figure out. First on the agenda though is the security system. Somehow I hit a wrong button when I got home today and Brooke and I were in the car while the alarm was going off! I just started hitting buttons and it eventually turned off......oh well....there goes that "cool"......

4 comments:
The Probe will forever hold a special place in my heart.... and memory.... I think you drove us all over Atlanta in that thing! ... when it wasn't flooded. :D
Too funny!! I always said never too,because my dad tryed to make me buy one when I was 18!! Ummm,no kids and noooo thanks!! And that for my first ride! And "RED" at that,which I hate!! LOL!! I have a 2007 Dodge Durango now that I got brand-new for my birthday.And I love it!! So I feel your pain,with leaving your's behind!And my butt still hasn't been in a minivan!! LOL! I can say there are some nice one's though! And I hope your's is one of those! Best of luck!!
Natalie,
YOU CRACK ME UP! Keep the posts coming. Dan and I are thoroughly entertained by you!
OK... I know one day I am headed that way, maybe when I am about to turn 40 too (hee-hee!). So I still have some years ahead! My brother came to visit last week and they have a real nice one and he and I went out for a little bit. I thought to myself, "I could maybe own one of these one day." Brandon has wanted one before. I am PROUD of you and I think that you are still COOL! If I don't get a chance to tell you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I am going on an aniiversary getaway for the weekend! Miss you!
Post a Comment